Poriyal, a south Indian side dish is usually made from cabbagge, beetroot, carrot, beans or any other vegetables like raw papaya or leafy vegetables or even with chow-chow. In this recipe beetroot is used as a main ingredient.
2 medium sized Beetroot
1 small sized Onion
1 clove Garlic
3 tablespoon Coconut
½ teaspoon Jeera (cumin seeds)
¾ teaspoon – 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
1 teaspoon Oil
½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
1 teaspoon Urad Dal
1 teaspoon Channa Dal
Salt to taste
1. Pressure cook whole beetroot. Let it cool, peel the skin and chop finely.
2. Chop onion.
3. Crush garlic, jeera, red chilli powder and coconut.
4. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan.
5. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves. Saute till mustard seeds start to crackle.
6. Add chopped onions, saute till transperent.
7. Add chopped beetroot.
8. Add salt, cook till dry.
9. Add the crushed garlic, jeera, coconut mixture.
10. Cover and cook for 1 minute.
11. Garnish with fried curry leaves.