The other day I got some live crabs. It was priceless to watch my granddaughter’s reaction. Reminded me of the Dhe Chef episode where we were tasked with catching live crabs. We all had fun catching and cooking the crabs, hope you do too.
2 to 3 Crabs
½ cup Coconut grated
2 teaspoon Coriander seeds
5 Whole Red chilly
½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
3 to 4 Peppercorns
3 Garlic pods
½ inch Ginger piece
Few curry leaves
Salt to taste
2 tablespoon Coconut oil/ refined oil.
½ teaspoon Mustard
2 Whole Red chilly
3 Shallots chopped
Few Curry leaves
1 tablespoon oil
1. Boil crabs with little salt and clean them, only the body and claws are used.
2. In a pan, dry roast grated coconut, coriander seeds, whole red chillies, peppercorns, shallots, garlic, ginger and curry leaves till golden brown. Cool and grind to a smooth paste.
3. Heat oil. Add the chopped tomato and cook till tomato is mashed. Add the ground masala, turmeric and cook for a few minutes.
4. Add the crab and a pinch of salt. Add water, cover and cook till the gravy is thick.
5. For tempering heat oil in a pan, add mustard. When mustard splutters, add whole red chilli, add the chopped shallots and curry leaves. Sauté till shallots are golden brown.
6. Add the tempering to the crab curry. Serve hot with rice or roti.
Leave a Reply